Have you transferred from the National Guard or Reserves to active duty? Share your experiences. Share Your Experience
If by change I am able to go active
- If by change I am able to go active duty from the Air force reserves, will I lose rank? I am already an overage at my current unit and the AF has an overage of supply troops what is my options?
- —Guest tina
- Hi I have recently submitted an AGR packet early this month and I have a few questions. Well to start off I am a 42A and I have been in the Army Reserves for 2 years now. I want to transition to AGR but I am not sure on how the process go. I know you wait 30 days for a response to your packet but what do I do afterwards. A lot of people say they received a email and then wait for another 2 months or more before getting a response. Do anybody know what exactly goes on while transitioning? And will I have to go to board? Really trying to go AGR.
- —Guest SPC Shepard
AF Reserve 14 years experience
- In response to can I go active or officer after. In my time in the Air Force Reserves, yes, it is easy to go from enlisted to Officer once you have your Bachelors degree. However, it's like applying for a job. Your military performance, background check will be looked at. An officer position must be available in an area you have education and you must go before a board turn in an application to be accepted. In response to, can you stay active duty once you complete BT. I've seen people have a hard time getting on active duty from the Reserve side. It depends on what your MOS is, how desperate the active duty needs someone in your field and your rank. If you really want to go active, I would talk to an active duty recruiter ASAP and see what you can do to break the contract with the Guard and go active. One caviat is, you may get plenty of active duty time by deploying in the gaurd. I know a lot of Guard people who deploy frequently. Check the benefit differences of active and guard.
- —Guest Michelle d
Can I Go Active?
- I recently joined the AFR, but i haven't left for basic training. I want to know if there is any possible way to transfer from Reserve to Active before basic training because i actually ended up with the short end of the stick by joining the reserves instead of joining Active Duty Air Force. Someone Please Help me out
- —Guest Soon to be AF Reservee
possible while overseas
- Is it possible to transfer from NG to AD while over seas and if so how hard is it?
- —Guest PFC Donaldson
AD to RESERVE
- I am currently in the Marines as AD. After numerous problems and issues, I have started looking into sending in a request to go into the IRR to be able to go back to school, and also finish my contract. I have read many articles stating that either way you musst finish out your contract with the goverment. Is this possible to transfer?
- —Guest Devil Pup
AD to ANG back to AD
- I recently palace Chase in the AIRNG from AD Airforce hate it want to go back AD any tips or where to start?
- —Guest A1C Teuscher
What will happen?
- I have been in ANG for 6 years. Put on staff last year. I attended AD ALS. I want to cross over to AD. Will I lose rank? Can I cross over? If so, how do I go about doing that? Please help.
- —Guest Ssgt Lopez, j.
Transferring from NG to AR IRR
- I am currently in the CANG and have been placed in the NG IRR because I work as a contractor in Afghanistan. I am on orders for being in the NG IRR but I want to transfer into the Army Reserve IRR.... how can i do this?
- —Guest Steve Wilson
Time In Service
- "Time in service?
I was in the Air Guard for just over three years and have now been AF AD for one year. I was a SrA and was put back to A1C. I thought that I would put on SrA at 20 months TIG because I have 36 months time in service. I have been told this is not true and that my time in service goes off my total active federal military service date which is only worth 1 year. I have been getting the run around on this and it seems like no cares to actually figure it out. My question is does my time in service from being in the National Guard actually count towards anything besides my pay?
i have this similar question ^ when switching service branches AND switching from reserves/guard to active duty do you do you loose time in service?? or time needed to count for promotion? i know it counts towards pay no matter what.. please help!!
- —Guest overit
Going from ANG to AD
- My husband put in his paper work to go AD and we were told that it could take 6 months to a year or more. Is there anything we can do to make the process faster or is there anyone we can talk to, to find out the info on where his status stands???? Please help.
- —Guest Proud Army Wife
Time in service?
- I was in the Air Guard for just over three years and have now been AF AD for one year. I was a SrA and was put back to A1C. I thought that I would put on SrA at 20 months TIG because I have 36 months time in service. I have been told this is not true and that my time in service goes off my total active federal military service date which is only worth 1 year. I have been getting the run around on this and it seems like no cares to actually figure it out. My question is does my time in service from being in the National Guard actually count towards anything besides my pay?
- —Guest SrAtoA1C
Information for USAR Officers
- I'm in the process of trying to do this. First of all there is an entire packet involved in getting the DD 368 approved and the final signature must be the first O-7 CDR in your CoC. Mine was approved in about 30 days from my level to two above.
The point where I hit a dead-end was when I returned my DD368 to the recruiter. I was told you need to talk to your branch manager next. Called the branch manager; was told the only way an officer can transfer to AD is through the Call to Active Duty (CAD) program. Currently (Jan '12) only CPTs and MAJs who have completed their advanced courses are eligible for CAD.
Hope this helped
- —Guest LT
Problems with 368 or 4187?
- If your unit is messing with your paperwork and you know that they are not doing their job then you should all IG they will help your case a ton mine was ignored for 6 months now its already at brigade because IG called and ripped my unit another one for not wanting to help out a soldier. BTW IG told me that the forums should take no longer then 8 weeks to get a response. As far as my answer even if it comes back denied at least I know I gave it my all.
- —Guest 74d135th
weird situation.. how do i make it work?
- I am ANG, I just got done with all my tech school, fell in love TDY, got engaged and my fiance is stationed in Germany. I want to go active, and move to Germany... but I know its not that easy. What kind of options do I have? If we get married will that speed things up? Is there still the chance my Guard unit cound deny my release? Help please (:
- —Guest anxious a