From the article: Installation Overview --Izmir Air Base, Turkey
Have you ever been to or stationed at Izmir Air Base, Turkey? Tell us all about your experiences. Share Your Experiences
- I lived there 1961-1971! Loved growingup there. Going to high school there and enjoying Turkish culture was awesome. Would love to go back for a visit.
- —Guest vic colley
Best Years of my Young Life!
- I am a former AF brat who live in Izmir in mid-80's as a teenager (actually, I also lived there from ages 0-2 as my Dad was stationed there at the time of my birth). Not having an enclosed base upon which to live I think was the key to many of us having loved living in Izmir as we were immersed in Turkish culture everyday. The dollar to TL was very high so things were very inexpensive and affordable for even a teenager on a $20/wk allowance. I miss dearly the food, hanging out with friends in Kulture Park, doing day-trips to the beach in Cesme, etc. Those of you fortunate to be living there now or soon should really, really take advantage of travelling to all the great sites in Turkey...you will develop endless fantastic memories!
- —Guest missingTHEguzel
A memory from the past
- Wow! I'm surprised that Izmir is still there! I was once stationed there from 1975-1976. For the first few months I wasn't impressed with having to move from place to place every few weeks. It wasn't until I actually found a place for myself that it then became really enjoyable. I had fun poking about the city and going to the agora to do my shopping. I now wouldn't mind coming back to retire there and having fun exploring the city and the surrounding countryside.
- My dad was assigned to the Turkish air base located outside of Izmir, associated with the Izmir Air Base. I went to the American School in 4th and 5th grade. Our family was quite large, so we lived out of town in the country. We loved it! We were there from 1976 - 1978
- —Guest M (Brooks) Hutton
- I was there from 1968-1970 working in CBPO and also coached the squadron football team. How do I go about getting some pictures of the team?
- —Guest JJ Henry