1. Careers
Send to a Friend via Email
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

FY 2006 Military Pay and Benefits

Dislocation Allowance -- Enlisted Members


Military members may be entitled to a dislocation allowance (DLA) when relocating their household due to a PCS. However, keep in mind that DLA is intended to partially reimburse relocation expenses not otherwise reimbursed and probably will not reimburse all of the relocation expenses.

DLA payment limitations are based on a fiscal year (the fiscal year runs from 1 October to 30 September). Ordinarily members are entitled to only one DLA payment per fiscal year. However, there are some exceptions. For example, if you make a move, and then your Permament Change of Station (PCS) orders are amended, modified, canceled or revoked you may be entitled to a Secondary DLA (See 2nd table below).

Members are now entitled to a dislocation allowance for their initial PCS move. Under previous law (2001 and prior) there was no DLA entitlement when the PCS is from your home (or the place where you entered active duty) to your first permanent duty station (PDS). To receive DLA for your first PCS move, you must relocate your dependents (no DLA is authorized on the first PCS move, if dependents are not relocated).

By law there is no DLA entitlement when the PCS is from your PDS to your Home of Record. In other words there's no DLA entitlement when leaving active duty.

For members who do not move dependents, there is no DLA entitlement if you occupy government quarters (barracks/dormitory) at the new PCS location.

Enlisted Members

Paygrade Without Dependents With Dependents
E-9 $1,825.44 $2,406.53
E-8 $1,675.49 $2,218.31
E-7 $1,431.44 $2,059.62
E-6 $1,295.72 $1,903.12
E-5 $1,195.06 $1,711.59
E-4 $1,039.65 $1,711.59
E-3 $1,019.95 $1,711.59
E-2 $828.44 $1,711.59
E-1 $738.72 $1,711.59

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.