1. Careers
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

Transfering from Active Duty to the National Guard or Reserves


USA, Southern California.
Sean Murphy/Stone/Getty Images

Some of the services (such as the Air Force) allow personnel to request early separation to service in the National Guard or Active Reserves, under programs called Palace Chase and Palace Front. The other active duty services do not have specific programs, but occasionally will allow one to request a discharge from active duty to serve in the Guard or Reserves, under a Convenience of the Government Discharge.

However, in order to qualify, one must be within a designated time (usually one or two years) from their normal date of separation. Approval is certainly not automatic, and are based on the "needs of the service." In other words, if you're serving in a "shortage job," forget it.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.