Training Pipeline following commission. Upon commissioning and after completing SWOS, Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center (NDSTC) Panama City, Florida, and initial sea tour, SPECOPS candidates will receive Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders to Naval School Explosive Ordnance Disposal (NAVSCOLEOD), Naval Ordnance Station, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida. A total of 51 weeks of rigorous training begins with 12 weeks of dive training at NDSTC. Students receive training in diving physics, medicine, SCUBA, MK16 mixed gas diving system, hyperbaric chamber operations, familiarization of the MK21 Superlite surface supplied hard hat diving system, rubber raiding craft small boat operation and small team diving integration. At EOD School, Eglin AFB, the curriculum consists of core classes, demolition of explosives, EOD tools and methods, chemical munitions and EOD publications. The final phase is broken down into specific types of ordnance. Each division teaches an in depth course on both foreign and domestic weapons. These divisions are broken down into the following:
- Ground Ordnance. Land-mines, grenades, booby traps, and projected munitions (projectiles, mortars, and rockets).
- Air Ordnance. Bombs, missiles, egress systems, gun systems, and aircraft explosive hazards.
- Improvised Explosive Devices. Homemade bombs, terrorist devices, and their render safe procedures. Core effort of Force Protection is conducted in this phase.
- Underwater Ordnance. Torpedoes, mines, underwater explosive devices, search techniques, and foreign ordnance exploitation.
- Nuclear Weapons. Basic nuclear physics and radiation monitoring, decontamination procedures, and nuclear weapon render safe procedures.
- Advance Mobility. Mobility skills and Advanced Force Protection concepts and procedures are conducted in this phase.
Special pay/bonuses. SPECOPS officers who are qualified divers, demolition experts and parachutists and assigned to SPECOPS are eligible to receive dive pay in amounts of approx. $550.00.
Locations of initial fleet assignments. The location of EOD Groups/Units and Mobile Diving Salvage Units are:
WEST COAST :San Diego, CA; Guam; Oak Harbor, WA
Little Creek, VA; Charleston, SC; Sicily, IT; Fort Story, VA