MOS/Title: 5507 -- U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps Officer
Type of Officer : Limited Duty Officer, and Warrant Officer
Type of MOS : PMOS
Rank Range: Major/CW04
Job Description: A drum and bugle corps officer manages, administers, and coordinates the musical performance, internal operations, training, and' employment of "The Commandant's Own," The U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps (D and B Corps). As commanding officer or executive officer of the D and B Corps Company, will discharge applicable company level duties and act as technical advisor to the Commanding Officer of Marine Barracks on all matters pertaining t.o the utilization of the Drum and Bugle Corps.
(1) Must have served as a member of the "The Commandant's Own," The United Stales Marine Drum and Bugle Corps.
(2) Must complete an audition/interview administered by the commanding officer, the U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps and other designated senior personnel as directed by the commanding officer.
(3) Recommendations will be forwarded to CMC, via the Commanding Officer, Marine Barracks, Washington, DC, for review and consideration.
(1) Directs or conducts the U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps at appearances of the unit throughout the, U.S. and abroad.
(2) Supervises the selection, instruction and implementation of the overall musical and marching program of the unit.
(3) Conducts rehearsals and the overall instructional program of the brass and percussion ensembles to ensure compliance with established MOS standards.
(4) Supervises the overall audiovisual program of the unit. Responsible for establishing and maintaining a viable library of music, audio and visual recordings and materials so as to ensure performance standards are established, sustained, and chronicled for future review and evaluation.
(5) Responsible for the submission of budget requests for all organizational instruments, uniforms, equipment and accessories. Must ensure the proper utilization and safe keeping of same so as to ensure cost efficient management. Coordinates the submission of requests for Type II allowances for scheduled replacement of major instruments and equipment.
(6) Coordinates all appearances of the unit, both military and civilian. Adequate billeting, meals, transportation and scheduling will be coordinated with sponsoring agencies so as to ensure the professional support necessary is provided. Thorough knowledge of policies and procedures as it relates to the appearance of a military musical unit is required so that all existing regulations are complied with.
(7) As Company Commander or Executive Officer, must develop and implement a training program to ensure all Marine musicians are capable of assuming a defensive position to meet their secondary mission of augmenting Marine Barracks defense in a combat or national defense environment.
(8) Must possess thorough knowledge of and familiarization with the traditions and history of "The Commandant's Own," the U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps. Must administer a program that will ensure that all activities of the unit are suitably recorded for posterity, thus ensuring the proud traditions of this unit are upheld and familiar to all who follow.
(9) In conjunction with Marine Corps Recruiting Command, develop and implement a recruiting program that will ensure that highly capable instrumentalists are auditioned and subsequently enlisted into the Marine Corps for duty with "The Commandant's Own," the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps.
(10) Must become familiar with all company level command and administrative duties so as to become capable of discharging it in a competent, thoroughly professional manner.
(11) Develop and administer a sound evaluation system which provides qualitative performance adjudication of all musicians assigned to the U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps.
(12) While the ability to compose and/or arrange music is not a principle requirement, must possess comparable knowledge and experience so as to ensure the highest musical standards are met. Sound musical judgment and meticulous attention to performance exactness will be required in rehearsal and performance alike. Close supervision of those tasked with instructing the individual/sectional rehearsal of the unit is essential to the continuing growth and development of the unit as a whole.
Related Department of Labor Occupation Codes :
Conductor, Orchestra 152.047-014.
Above information derived from MCBUL 1200, part 1