MOS/Title:2759 -- Greek
Type of Officer : All
Type of MOS : EMOS
Rank Range: N/A
Job Description: Linguist 2759, Greek require specialized foreign language skills. Linguists supervise and participate in language translation/interpretation activities pertaining primarily to military operational and intelligence activities. The linguist MOSs will be assigned as EMOSs to identify those Marines with qualifying foreign language skills. These titles and MOSs will also be used to identify billets in T/Os requiring specific foreign language skills as a required billet MOS (BMOS). These EMOSs will be assigned and voided only by the authority of the CMC (MM).
(1) Successfully complete the required course of instruction at the Defense Language Institute. (Note: Individuals may also qualify for this EMOS by demonstrating proficiency in the appropriate language by achieving a minimum level 2 proficiency with two modalities (listening, reading or speaking) portions of the Defense Language Proficiency test (DLPT).
(2) Maintain a current qualifying Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) with two modalities (listening, reading or speaking) Level 2.
(3) Must be proficient in Greek.
(1) Conducts bi-directional consecutive interpretation of target language to English and English to target language using phraseology selected to preserve the original intent, meaning, and emphasis.
(2) Phrases ideas to avoid language that is stilted, unnatural, and difficult to understand.
(3) Displays an impartial attitude toward each speaker and to facts and opinions expressed.
(4) Interprets into either English or foreign language statements made by participants in conferences, working parties, and all similar activities.
(5) Interviews friendly non-English speaking civilians such as police, clergymen, and other citizens to obtain information of military value.
(6) Writes reports, including opinion as to the credibility of the person interviewed, for use by unit commander and for dissemination to lower, adjacent, and higher headquarters.
(7) Translates into either English or the foreign language, written material of both a technical and nontechnical nature.
(8) Establishes a file of language reference materials, English and foreign language dictionaries, and glossaries of military terms.
Related Department of Labor Occupation Codes :
(1) Interpreter 137.267-010.
(2) Translator 137.267-018.
Related Marine Corps Jobs:
Above information derived from MCBUL 1200, part 1