1. Careers
Send to a Friend via Email
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

Installation Overview --Naval Air Station Sigonella, Italy


6 of 9

Installation Overview --Naval Air Station Sigonella, Italy

Enlisted Billeting on NAS I

Photo courtesy U.S. Navy

The Housing Referral Office is located on NAS I and can be reached by calling DSN 314-624-4311 or 011-39-095-564104. Hours of operation are Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Wed 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

All accompanied military personnel are currently being assigned to government housing upon arrival. At this time most Government housing is contractual, comprising of Mineo and Marinai Housing areas. Housing assignments are made to dwellings that have stood empty longest. Bedroom entitlement, which is based on rank, family composition as well as pets, will determine which housing is assigned.

Housing has temporary European furniture in place until your furniture arrives. It is recommended that accompanied personnel include several of their flat sheets in their Express Shipment. All housing has major appliances, as well as 110 and 220 outlets in each room. The cycle remains 50 cycles not 60 cycles, which means American digitals will not keep time, and the life span of any appliance that pulls a lot of heat, such as irons, crock pots, etc; may be shortened and may not work as well.

You must be physically at Sigonella in order to apply for government housing. If you are on accompanied orders, your family members will also need to be named and physically on the island in order to be assigned family housing, even if they are in college and expected to be home for holidays or the summer. Applications sent through fax, mail or e-mail are not accepted.

There are 725 Bachelor Enlisted Quarters (BEQ) units and 200 Bachelor Officer Quarters (BOQ) units available. The Billeting Office is located on NAS II BOQ and can be reached at DSN 314-624-6832/4109. The BEQ is open 24 hours.

Few are living on the economy at this time. Should you be allowed or required to do so, the Housing Department will assist you with establishing utility contracts. Applications for utilities require that you obtain a "Codice Fiscale" which is similar to a U.S. Social Security Number. Applications are available at the Housing Department. You should apply for your Codice Fiscale when you arrive at NASSIG, during INDOC. Electricity paperwork for your electric contact will be completed at your check-in inspection. Telephone applications for telephone service should be completed at the Housing Department once you have a signed lease; telephone service can take up to 60 days to be activated. You will need to provide a copy of a U.S. Military I.D. card and Codice Fiscale. Water contracts remain in the landlord's name so it will not be necessary for you to establish your own contract. Some homes have piped-in city gas. If you do find a home in an area supplied with city gas, we will help you establish a contract for service.

Families with dogs or cats can be assigned housing units in Mineo and Marinai.

Readers Respond: Experiences at Naval Air Station Sigonella, Italy

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.