1. Careers
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

2009 Military Housing Allowance Charts


Updated January 22, 2009

The military pay charts linked below show military housing allowances that are payable to military members for the year 2009. Military members may be entitled to other pay and allowances, depending on the circumstances.

Housing Allowances

Active Duty Housing Allowance (BAH)
Military members who are authorized to reside off-base at government expense are provided a monthly housing allowance, known as "Basic Allowance for Housing, or "BAH." Here are the BAH rates for 2009.

Overseas Housing Allowance
Active duty members who are stationed overseas (except for Alaska and Hawaii), and are authorized to live off base at government expense, do no receive a Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH). Instead, they receive a different allowance, called Overseas Housing Allowance, or OHA.

Guard and Reserve Housing Allowance
Guard and Reserve members on active duty for less than 30 days receive a different type of housing allowance than active duty members. This type of housing allowance is known as Basic Allowance for Housing Reserve Component/Transit (BAH RC/T), and pays less, on average, than Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH).

Partial Rate Housing Allowance
Partial rate Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is paid to military members without dependents who are living in government quarters (such as dormitories or barracks), and are not entitled to any other type of housing allowance.

Child Support Allowance
Special rules/rates apply for active duty members who live in the barracks and pay child support. Such members are not entitled to the regular housing allowance, but may be entitled to a special allowance, called BAH-DIFF.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.