The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver) are an authenticated history of:
Current or history of ankylosing spondylitis or other inflammatory spondylopathies (720) is disqualifying.
Current or history of any condition, including, but not limited to the spine or sacroiliac joints, with or without objective signs that:
(1) Prevents the individual from successfully following a physically active vocation in civilian life (724) or that is associated with local or referred pain to the extremities, muscular spasm, postural deformities, or limitation of motion is disqualifying.
(2) Requires external support is disqualifying.
(3) Requires limitation of physical activity or frequent treatment is disqualifying.
Current deviation or curvature of spine (737) from normal alignment, structure, or function is disqualifying if:
(1) It prevents the individual from following a physically active vocation in civilian life.
(2) It interferes with the proper wearing of a uniform or military equipment.
(3) It is symptomatic.
(4) There is lumbar scoliosis greater than 20 degrees, thoracic scoliosis greater than 30 degrees, or kyphosis and lordosis greater than 55 degrees when measured by the Cobb method. d. History of congenital fusion (756.15), involving more than two vertebral bodies is disqualifying. Any surgical fusion of spinal vertebrae (P81.0) is disqualifying.
Current or history of fractures or dislocation of the vertebrae (805) is disqualifying. A compression fracture, involving less than 25 percent of a single vertebra is not disqualifying if the injury occurred more than 1 year before examination and the applicant is asymptomatic. A history of fractures of the transverse or spinous processes is not disqualifying if the applicant is asymptomatic.
History of juvenile epiphysitis (732.6) with any degree of residual change indicated by x-ray or kyphosis is disqualifying.
Current herniated nucleus pulposus (722) or history of surgery to correct this condition is disqualifying.
Current or history of spina bifida (741) when symptomatic, if there is more than one vertebra level involved or with dimpling of the overlying skin is disqualifying. History of surgical repair of spina bifida is disqualifying.
Current or history of spondylolysis (congenital (756.11) or acquired (738.4)) and spondylolisthesis (congenital (756.12) or acquired (738.4)) are disqualifying.
Derived from Department of Defense (DOD) Directive 6130.3, "Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, and Induction," and DOD Instruction 6130.4, "Criteria and Procedure Requirements for Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Armed Forces."