1. Careers
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

2009 BAH Differential Allowance


Updated January 20, 2009

Special rules apply for active duty members who live in single government quarters (such as barracks/dormitories) and pay child support. Married members and members with custodial custody of children are considered to "have dependents," (for housing purposes) and receive full-rate housing allowance (BAH), even if they reside temporarily in the barracks (such as in basic training, job school, or unaccompanied overseas assignment), in order to provide adequate financial support (housing) for their dependents.

However, military members who don't have custody, and are paying child support, *ARE NOT* authorized to reside in the barracks and receive full-rate BAH.

Instead, such members are paid an entitlement called BAH-DIFF, or BAH Differential. BAH-DIFF is the difference between the full married rate and full single rate of BAH RC/T, (which is a different allowance than the full-rate BAH ).

In order to receive this allowance, however, the military member must prove (by support agreement or court order) that the amount of child support they provide equals or exceeds the amount of BAH-DIFF they are entitled to.

If the amount of support is less than the BAH-DIFF entitlement, the member residing in single goverment quarters, who pays child support, receives nothing extra.

Unmarried members who are authorized to reside off base at government expense, who pay child support are entitled to the full, with-dependent rate housing allowance.

Below are the monthly BAH-DIFF Rates for each paygrade for calendar year 2009.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.