Basic Job Description
Human Intelligence (HUMINT) Collectors are integral to providing Army personnel with information about enemy forces, strength, capabilities, vulnerabilities and intentions, as well as potential battle areas. HUMINT Collectors conduct source operations, interrogations and debriefings to collect this information. The Human Intelligence Collector is primarily responsible for supervising and conducting information collection operations.
Duties performed by Soldiers in this MOS include:
Conducts debriefings and interrogations of HUMINT sources in English and foreign languages; assists in screenings of HUMINT sources and documents; participates in CFSO; translates written foreign material and captured enemy documents into English. Prepares appropriate intelligence reports; acts as an interpreter/translator for intelligence matters and materials.
Reviews and edits translations of foreign documents and material for accuracy and completeness. Performs difficult interrogations and translations. Screens, assesses, and debriefs (in foreign language) refugees and defectors to fulfill strategic intelligence requirements. Debriefs U.S. prisoner of war returnees and other friendly sources to obtain information for military intelligence. Prepares Information Intelligence Reports. Conducts liaison in foreign language with Host Nation agencies. Interprets foreign language into English or English conversations and ensures the accurate exchange of statements, ideas, and intent.
Job training for a human intelligence collector requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 20 weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instruction. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and in the field.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Screenings, debriefings and interrogations
- Preparing maps and charts
- Human Intelligence analysis
- Using computer systems
Note: Some Soldiers may be selected to receive foreign language training at the Defense Language Institute.
ASVAB Score Required: 101 in aptitude area ST
Security Clearance: Secret
Strength Requirement: light
Physical Profile Requirement: 222221
- Normal color vision required
- Must be US Citizen
- A qualifying score on the Defense Language Aptitude Battery, (DLAB), of 100 or above
- A qualifying score on the English Comprehension Level Test
- Never been a member of the U.S. Peace Corps
- Possess good voice quality and be able to speak English without objectionable accent or speech impediments
- Good voice quality and be able to speak English and foreign language idiomatically and without objectionable accent or impediment
Similar Civilian Occupations
- Detectives and Criminal Investigators
- Interpreters and Translators
- Business Operations Specialists
- Database Administrators
- Eligibility Interviewers, Government Programs
- Interviewers, Except Eligibility and Loan
- Operations Research Analysts
- Technical Writers
- Training and Development Specialists