Basic Job Description
The Health Care Specialist is primarily responsible for providing emergency medical treatment, limited primary care and health protection and evacuation from a point of injury or illness. Health Care Specialists are often called "combat medics" in the Army, because some Soldiers in this MOS are assigned to deploy with Army combat units, and provide emergency medical treatment directly on the battlefield. Other Heath Care Specialists are assigned to military hospitals and clinics to assist doctors and nurses with the health care needs of patients.
Duties performed by Soldiers in this MOS include:
Administer emergency medical treatment to battlefield casualties. Assist with outpatient and inpatient care and treatment. Interview patients and recording their medical histories. Take patients' temperature, pulse and blood pressure. Prepare blood samples for laboratory analysis. Keep health records and clinical files up-to-date. Give shots and medicines to patients. Prepare patients, operating rooms, equipment and supplies for surgery.
Job training for a health care specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 16 weeks of Advanced Individual Training, including practice in-patient care.
Health Care Specialists can also receive advanced medical training to "specialize" in one of several areas. Following additional training, they are awarded an ASI (Additional Skill Identifier), as follows:
- M3 - Dialysis (skill level 1-4 only)
- M6 - Practical/Vocational Nurse (skill level 1-4 only)
- N1 - Aircraft Crewmember Standardization Instruction (skill level 2-3)
- N3 - Occupational Therapy (skill level 1-4 only)
- N9 - Physical Therapy (skill level 1-4 only)
- P1 - Orthopedics (skill level 1-4 only)
- P2 - Ear, Nose, and Throat and Hearing Readiness (skill level 1-4 only)
- P3 - Optometry/Ophthamology (skill level 1-4 only)
- W1 - Special Operations Combat Medic (SOCOM) (skill level 1-4 only)
- W2 - Civil Affairs Medical SGT (skill level 1-4 only)
- W4 - Civil Affairs Trauma Medical SGT (skill level 2-4 only)
- Y6 - Cardiovascular (skill level 1-4 only)
- Y8 - Immunization/Allergy.
ASVAB Score Required: GT 107 and ST 101
Security Clearance: None
Strength Requirement: moderately heavy
Physical Profile Requirement: 222121
Similar Civilian Occupations
- Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics