Note: This MOS no longer exists. The information below is maintained here for historical purposes, only.
Major duties. (NOTE: This job is available in the Reserves and National Guard, only). The M60A1/A3 tank system mechanic supervises and performs unit maintenance and recovery operations on M60A1/A3 tanks, including the automotive, turret, fire control, and chemical protection systems.
(1) Skill Level 1. Maintains (inspects/troubleshoots/replaces/repairs/adjusts/performs preventive maintenance checks and services diesel power plants/packs, compression ignition engines, wheel vehicle clutch assemblies, compression ignition engine, fuel/air induction systems, vehicle liquid cooling systems, vehicle starting/charging systems, track vehicle hull electrical systems, wheel vehicle electrical systems, standard/automatic transmission assemblies, cross drive transmission assemblies, propeller shaft/axle assemblies, drum brake systems. hydraulic steering systems, hoist/ winch assemblies, track vehicle hydraulic assemblies, auxiliary power units, fire extinguisher/suppression systems, and gas particulate filter systems.
(2) Skill Level 2. Performs duties in preceding skill level, supervises lower grade soldiers and provides technical guidance to the soldiers in the accomplishment of their duties.
(3) Skill Level 3. Performs duties in preceding skill levels, perform and supervise M6OAl/A3 tank turret mechanic (MOS 45N) duties, supervises lower grade soldiers and provides technical guidance to the soldiers in the accomplishment of their duties. Supervises maintenance of cannon assemblies, cannon recoil assemblies, traversing systems, elevating systems, stabilization systems, electrical power distribution systems, electrical firing systems, hydraulic systems, sighting and fire control systems, exterior/interior/annament/automotive accessories, cupola/commander's weapon stations/hatch systems, NBC system, fuel systems, gasoline and diesel engines. cooling systems, transmissions/transfers, brake systems suspension systems, steering systems, fire extinguisher/suppression systems, final drives, and spade systems. Inspects and troubleshoots Ml 13 series vehicle systems, recovery vehicle (M88A1) automotive systems. Performs battlefield damage assessment and repair (BDAR) of track vehicle armament/automotive systems.
(4) Skill Level 4 . Performs duties in preceding skill levels, supervises lower grade soldiers and provides technical guidance to the soldiers in the accomplishment of their duties,
(5) Skill Level 5 . Performs duties in preceding skill levels, su pervises lower grade soldiers and provides techmcal guidance to the soldiers in the accomplishment of their duties,
Physical demands rating and qualifications for initial award of MOS. M6OAI/A3 tank system mechanics must possess the follow ing qualifications:
(1) A physical demands rating, of very heavy.
(2) A physical profile, of 222222,
(3) A minimum score, of 100 in aptitude area MM.
(4) Normal color vision,
(5) Current equipment qualification record for all types of equip ment maintained,
(6) Formal training (completion of MOS 63N course conducted under the auspices of the USA Ordnance Center and School) mandatory.
NOTE: This job is closed to women.
(1) H8--Recovery Operations.
(2) P5--Master Fitness Trainer,
(3) 2S--Battle Staff Operations (skill level 3 and above).
(4) 4A--Reclassification Training.
Information derived from Army Pamplet 611-21