Basic Job Description
The M-1 Abrams tank system maintainer is primarily responsible for supervising and performing maintenance on Abrams tanks.
Duties performed by Soldiers in this MOS include:
- Perform maintenance on the suspension, steering, hydraulic, auxiliary power, fire extinguisher/suppression and gas particulate systems
- Diagnose and troubleshoot malfunctions
Job training for an M-1 Abrams tank systems maintainer requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 24 weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instructions. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Electronic and mechanical principles and concepts
- Use of electronic, electrical and mechanical test equipment
- Use of schematics, drawings and wiring diagrams
- Operation, testing and maintenance of weapons systems
ASVAB Score Required: 99 in aptitude area MM OR 88 in aptitude area MM and 92 in aptitude area GT
Security Clearance: None
Strength Requirement: very heavy
Physical Profile Requirement: of 222222
- This job is closed to women
- Normal color vision required
Similar Civilian Occupations
- The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career as an electronic mechanic, an avionics technician or a missile facilities repairer with companies that design, build and test weapons for the military.