Basic Job Description
Note: This is not an entry-level position. In order to qualify for MOS 42S, you must first be qualified as MOS 42R, and meet very rigid selection criteria.
MOS 42S is the designator for Army "Special Band." This differs from MOS 42R, Band Member in that Special Band Members are assigned to one of the following prestigious bands:
- U.S. Army Band (Pershing’s Own)
- U.S. Army Field Band
- U.S. Military Academy Band
- Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps
The commander of the respective band selects Special Band members. Selection is based on the needs of the band and the qualification standards established by that commander. As a minimum, special band members must exhibit the highest standards of military bearing, personal appearance, and discipline for Special Bands to accomplish their mission. Prospective Special Band musicians must demonstrate superior musical expertise equivalent to professional performers in the civilian community.
Duties performed by Soldiers in this MOS include:
Play in or lead bands, orchestras, combos and jazz groups. Perform in military and civilian ceremonies, street parades, concerts, festivals and dances. Rehearse and learn new music when not performing. Perform all applicable styles of music. Transpose music by sight as required. Perform maintenance on instrument. Supervise and perform organizational maintenance of equipment. Perform as an administrative, supply, operations or training Sergeant. Participate in security duties during heightened combat intensity as required.
ASVAB Score Required: None established
Security Clearance: None, except for applicants for the U.S. Army Band (Pershing’s Own) and the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps (3d U.S. Infantry) must be qualified for assignment to a presidential support activity, which means they must be eligible for a Top Secret clearance.
Requirement: light for Cornet or Trumpet Player , French Horn Player
, Flute or Piccolo Player , and Clarinet Player and medium for Baritone or Euphonium
Player , Trombone Player , Tuba Player . Oboe Player . Bassoon Player , Saxophone
Player , Percussion Player , Keyboard Player , Guitar Player and Electric Bass
Guitar Player .
Physical Profile Requirement: 222222 (Note: Applicants for the U.S. Army Band (Pershing’s Own) and the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps (3d U.S. Infantry): 222221
Applicants for the U.S. Army Band (Pershing’s Own) and the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps (3d U.S. Infantry) must meet the following additional requirements:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must have a record of excellent credit and conduct and outstanding job performance, past and present
- Must be exceptionally well qualified in MOS 42R/42S
- Must exhibit a high degree of maturity, discretion, and trustworthiness beyond reproach
- Must be diplomatic and courteous in deportment
- Must exhibit superior military bearing, neatness, and manner
- Must meet weight and body fat standards
- Must have no record of arrests by civil or military authorities or frequent involvement with law enforcement agencies that clearly indicates irresponsibility or disrespect for the law (including traffic violations)
- Must have no record of civil conviction, except for minor offenses that do not disqualify for top secret (TS) security clearance
- Must have no record of conviction by court-martial or time lost (AWOL)
- Must have no personal habit or traits of character that are questionable from a security standpoint, such as financial irresponsibility, foreign holdings or interest, heavy drinking, drug abuse, gambling, emotional or mental instability
- Must have a minimum GT score of 110 (can be waived to 100)
- Immediate Family members must be U.S. citizens who are not subject to physical, mental, or other forms of duress by a foreign power. Immediate Family includes spouse, offspring, living parents, siblings, or other relatives or persons to whom the Soldier is closely linked by affection or obligation
Similar Civilian Occupations
- Musicians and Singers