Basic Job Description
A Multichannel Transmission Systems Operator-Maintainer works directly on communication devices and equipment that communicate through more than one channel. They are responsible for installation, repair, operation and maintenance check of these devices, antennae and associated equipment.
Duties performed by Soldiers in this MOS include:
Installs, operates, and performs unit level maintenance on multichannel line-of-site and tropospheric scatter communications systems, antennas and associated equipment. Analyzes BIT/BITE diagnostics to isolate faults to the Line Replaceable Unit. Installs, operates, performs strapping, restrapping, preventive maintenance checks and services, and unit level maintenance on communication security devices. Operates and performs Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services on assigned vehicles. Installs, operates, and performs preventive maintenance checks and services on assigned power generators.
Supervises operations and assists team members in the installation and operation of multichannel line-of-site and tropospheric scatter communications systems. Supervises, performs and assists team members in the performance of unit level maintenance on assigned communications equipment. Requests logistical support. Prepares input for statistical and other operational reports.
Job training for a multichannel transmission systems operator-maintainer requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 15 weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instruction. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and in the field.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Operating multi-channel transmission equipment and diagnostic equipment
- Performing maintenance on associated transmission vehicles
- As your career continues, you will take more classes and training
ASVAB Score Required: 98 in aptitude area EL and 98 in aptitude area SC
Security Clearance: Secret
Strength Requirement: heavy
Physical Profile Requirement: 111221
- Normal color vision required
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Ability to read, comprehend, and clearly enunciate English
- Ability to work for extended periods in a confined area
Similar Civilian Occupations
- Radio Mechanics
- Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers
- First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers