Basic Job Description
The technical engineer supervises or participates in construction site development in areas such as technical investigation, surveys, drafts and construction plans/specifications. They conduct land surveys, make maps and prepare detailed plans for construction projects.
Duties performed by Soldiers in this MOS include:
- Perform field and laboratory tests on construction materials, surveys and drafts
- Draw topographic maps and charts using Computer Aided Drafting systems and software
- Conduct geodetic and construction surveys and results utilizing Automated Integrated Survey Instruments and Global Positioning Survey Technology
- Draw diagrams for wiring and plumbing of structures
- Provide technical support for vertical and horizontal construction projects
- Build scale models of land areas that show hills, lakes, roads and buildings
Job training for technical engineer requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 17 weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field with on-the-job instructions.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Surveying and drafting techniques
- Aerial photo interpretation
- Architectural and structural drawing
ASVAB Score Required: 101 in aptitude area ST
Security Clearance: None
Strength Requirement: heavy
Physical Profile Requirement: 221211
- Normal color vision required
- Have credit for two years of high school mathematics, to include algebra and 1 year of general science.
Similar Civilian Occupations
- The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with construction, engineering and architectural firms.