Basic Job Description
Army plumbers and pipe fitters are responsible for installing and repairing plumbing and pipe systems.
Duties performed by Soldiers in this MOS include:
- Maintain heating systems, basic water supply and water distribution systems
- Pipe systems for waste water
- Basic plumbers repair and maintenance
- Maintenance for plumbing fixtures, pipes, stacks, brackets, traps, vents and insulation
- Construction plans and drawings
Job training for a plumber requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and seven weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field with on-the-job instructions, including practice with carpentry and masonry tools.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Installation and repair of pipe systems, plumbing fixtures, boiler controls, water purification and distillation systems
- Maintenance and repair of hydraulic and pneumatic systems
ASVAB Score Required: 88 in aptitude area GM
Security Clearance: None
Strength Requirement: very heavy.
Physical Profile Requirement: 111221
- Normal color vision required
- Freedom from vertigo to permit climbing, balancing and working in high places
Similar Civilian Occupations
- The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career in a mechanical or plumbing contracting company.