Basic Job Description
Combat engineers primarily supervise, serve or assist as a member of a team when they are tackling rough terrain in combat situations. They provide their expertise in areas such as mobility, countermobility, survivability and general engineering.
Duties performed by Soldiers in this MOS include:
- Construct fighting positions, fixed/floating bridges, obstacles and defensive positions
- Place and detonate explosives
- Conduct operations that include route clearance of obstacles and rivers
- Prepare and install firing systems for demolition and explosives
- Detect mines visually or with mine detectors
Job training for combat engineers requires 14 weeks of One Station Unit Training, which includes Basic Combat Training and Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field with on-the-job instructions.
ASVAB Score Required: 87 in aptitude area CO
Security Clearance: None
Strength Requirement: very heavy.
Physical Profile Requirement: 111221
- Normal color vision required
Similar Civilian Occupations
- The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career in the fields of construction, building inspection or building engineering.