Basic Job Description
A Firefinder Radar Operator is crucial to the Army's field artillery radar team. 'Firefinder' is the name given to highly specialized machines that detect mortars, planes and other objects by using radio or sound waves to determine their location. The Firefinder Radar Operator uses radar to detect opposing forces and alert units in the Army.
Duties performed by this MOS include:
- Operate Firefinder Radar and other systems
- Establish and maintain radio and wire communications
- Construct fortification like bunkers and areas for other field artillery
- Maintain Firefinder Radar with scheduled check-ups
Initial Training Information
Job training for a field artillery firefinder radar operator requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and eight weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instruction. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and also partly on firefinder equipment.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Operating firefinder equipment
- Basic workings of radar and identifying objects
- Field tactics and combat communications
- Calculating/recording speed, direction and altitude
ASVAB Score Required: 98 in aptitude area SC
Security Clearance: Secret
Strength Requirement: heavy
Physical Profile Requirement: 222221
- Normal color vision.
- This job is closed to women.
- Must be a US Citizen
Similar Civilian Occupations
There is no civilian occupation that is directly equivalent to MOS 13R. However, the following civilian occupations make use of the skills developed through MOS 13R training and experience.
- Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists
- Computer Operators
- Data Entry Keyers
- Database Administrators
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment
- First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers
- Management Analysts
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators
- Operations Research Analysts
- Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers
- Training and Development Specialists