Yeoman perform administrative and clerical work. They receive visitors, answer telephone calls and sort incoming mail. They type, organize files and operate modern office equipment such as word processing computers and copying machines.
The duties performed by YNs include:
- preparing, typing and routing correspondence and reports;
- organizing and maintaining files;
- receiving office visits and handling telephone communications;
- operating personal computers, word processing, duplicating, audio-recording and other office machines;
- performing office personnel administration;
- maintaining records and official publications;
- performing administrative functions for legal proceedings;
- serving as office managers;
- performing other various clerical and administrative duties.
Yeomen are usually assigned duties in an office environment. People in this rating may work alone with little supervision, or work closely with others under close supervision depending on the assignment.
A-School (Job School) Information
NTTC Meridian , MS -- (self-paced course. Averages 46 calendar days)
ASVAB Score Requirement: VE + MK = 105 OR VE + MK + CS = 157
Security Clearance Requirement: Secret
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be able to type 40 words per minute upon graduation from A-School
Sub-Specialties Available for This Rating: Navy Enlisted Classification Codes for YN
Current Manning Levels for This Rating: CREO Listing
Note: Advancement ( promotion ) opportunity and career progression are directly linked to a rating's manning level (i.e., personnel in undermanned ratings have greater promotion opportunity than those in overmanned ratings).
Sea/Shore Rotation for This Rating
- First Sea Tour: 36 months
- First Shore Tour: 60 months
- Second Sea Tour: 36 months
- Second Shore Tour: 48 months
- Third Sea Tour: 36 months
- Third Shore Tour: 48 months
- Fourth Sea Tour: 36 months
- Forth Shore Tour: 48 months
Note: Sea tours and shore tours for sailors that have completed four sea tours will be 36 months at sea followed by 36 months ashore until retirement.
Much of the above information courtesy of the Navy Personnel Command