Utilitiesman work with plumbing, heating, steam, compressed air, fuel storage, and distribution systems. Their work also includes water treatment and distribution systems, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment, and sewage collecting and disposal facilities at Navy shore installations around the world. This is a 5-year enlistment program.
The duties performed by SWs include:
- installing and maintaining systems requiring plumbing and pipe fitting skills;
- installing, operating and repairing heating, piping, ventilation and air conditioning systems;
- operating and maintaining water and wastewater systems and treatment plants;
- identifying and carrying out procedures to limit or minimize the adverse effects of environmental pollution;
- reading and interpreting blueprints and preparing sketches for projects;
- making estimates of material, labor, and equipment requirements.
UTs may work in a variety of conditions, independently or as members of a large team. Their many different duties may be performed in climates ranging from tropical to arctic.
A-School (Job School) Information
Sheppart AFB, TX -- 94 calendar days
ASVAB Score Requirement: AR + MK + EI + GS = 200
Security Clearance Requirement: None
60 month service obligation
Sub-Specialties Available for This Rating: Navy Enlisted Classification Codes for UT.
Current Manning Levels for This Rating: CREO Listing
Note: Advancement ( promotion ) opportunity and career progression are directly linked to a rating's manning level (i.e., personnel in undermanned ratings have greater promotion opportunity than those in overmanned ratings).
Sea/Shore Rotation for This Rating
- First Sea Tour: 48 months
- First Shore Tour: 36 months
- Second Sea Tour: 42 months
- Second Shore Tour: 36 months
- Third Sea Tour: 36 months
- Third Shore Tour: 36 months
- Fourth Sea Tour: 36 months
- Forth Shore Tour: 36 months
Note: Sea tours and shore tours for sailors that have completed four sea tours will be 36 months at sea followed by 36 months ashore until retirement.
Much of the above information courtesy of the Navy Personnel Command