Ship's servicemen (SH) are responsible for managing and operating all shipboard retail and service activities. These include the ship's store, vending machines, video games, barber shops, laundry and tailor shops. They play a large role in the morale of the ship.
The duties performed by SHs include:
- managing and operating retail and service activities afloat;
- procuring and receiving ship's store stock;
- maintaining financial records and accounting systems;
- maintaining inventory and procurement databases;
- managing and operating ship's barber shops;
- serving as cash collections agents;
- operating and maintaining vending and cash collection machines;
- managing and operating ship's laundry and tailor shops
SHs work in diverse environments including offices, ship's stores, barber shops, and laundry plants. The work is physical, but the wide range of jobs allows people to learn valuable retailing, marketing and shop management skills.
A-School (Job School) Information
Meridian, MS -- 26 calendar days
ASVAB Score Requirement: VE + AR = 96
Security Clearance Requirement: None
Sub-Specialties Available for This Rating: Navy Enlisted Classification Codes for SH
Current Manning Levels for This Rating: CREO Listing
Note: Advancement ( promotion ) opportunity and career progression are directly linked to a rating's manning level (i.e., personnel in undermanned ratings have greater promotion opportunity than those in overmanned ratings).
Sea/Shore Rotation for This Rating
- First Sea Tour: 60 months
- First Shore Tour: 36 months
- Second Sea Tour: 48 months
- Second Shore Tour: 36 months
- Third Sea Tour: 36 months
- Third Shore Tour: 36 months
- Fourth Sea Tour: 36 months
- Forth Shore Tour: 36 months
Note: Sea tours and shore tours for sailors that have completed four sea tours will be 36 months at sea followed by 36 months ashore until retirement.
Much of the above information courtesy of the Navy Personnel Command