Note: To enlist for this rating, you must qualify for, and enlist under the Navy's Nuclear Field Program.
Nuclear-trained MMs perform duties in nuclear propulsion plants operating reactor control, propulsion and power generation systems. The character of NF jobs is mentally stimulating and offers career growth. The NF provides opportunities to work closely with specialists in the nuclear, technology, and engineering fields.
Nuclear-trained MMs operate reactor control, propulsion, and power generation systems in nuclear propulsion plants.
The Nuclear Field program trains personnel for nuclear submarines (men only) and nuclear surface ship assignments. No promise can be made regarding the type of duty assigned. MMs may be required to perform some heavy physical work. They must be able to work closely with others and, in some cases, with limited supervision.
A-School (Job School) Information
- MM Rating A School, Charleston, SC -- 3 months
- Nuke Power School School, Charleston, SC -- 6 months
- Nuclear Power Training Unit, Ballson Spa, NY or Charleston, SC -- 6 months
Selected graduates are given additional training as Engineering Laboratory Technicians (ELT) or Propulsion Plant Operator Welders.
ASVAB Score Requirement: AR + MK + EI + GS + NAPT = 290 OR AR + MK + VE + MC + NAPT = 290 (Note: NAPT = "Navy Advanced Programs Test." It's the Navy's Nuclear Power Aptitude Test."
For current enlistees, applying to retrain: AR + MK + EI + GS >= 252 OR AR + MK + VE + MC >= 252
Security Clearance Requirement: Secret
- Must have normal color perception
- Must have normal hearing (see below)
- 72 month obligation
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must Meet Criteria for Nuclear Field Enlistment Program
- Must meet test score criteria (no waivers) and other criteria set forth in NAVMILPERSCOMINST 1306.11 (series).
- Must be high school graduate (GED not acceptable), and have completed at least one year of algebra with a minimum grade of "C". Transcripts (or certified copy) must be filed in service record when enlisted.
Minimum auditory requirements: Frequency (HZ) / ISO 500/30 1000/30 2000/30 3000/45 4000/60 5000-8000/None
Sub-Specialties Available for This Rating: Navy Enlisted Classification Codes for MM(N)
Current Manning Levels for This Rating: CREO Listing
Note: Advancement ( promotion ) opportunity and career progression are directly linked to a rating's manning level (i.e., personnel in undermanned ratings have greater promotion opportunity than those in overmanned ratings).
Sea/Shore Rotation for This Rating
- First Sea Tour: 54 months
- First Shore Tour: 36 months
- Second Sea Tour: 60 months
- Second Shore Tour: 36 months
- Third Sea Tour: 36 months
- Third Shore Tour: 36months
- Fourth Sea Tour: 36 months
- Forth Shore Tour: 36 months
Note: Sea tours and shore tours for sailors that have completed four sea tours will be 36 months at sea followed by 36 months ashore until retirement.
Much of the above information courtesy of the Navy Personnel Command