Construction Electricians build, maintain, and operate power production facilities and electrical distribution systems for Naval installations. This is a 5 year enlistment program.
The duties performed by CEs include:
- installing, maintaining and repairing telephone systems and high and low voltage electrical power distribution networks, both overhead and underground;
- splicing and laying cables, erecting poles, stringing wires and installing transformers and distribution panels;
- installing, repairing and maintaining street lighting, fire alarm, public address, inter-office and telephone switchboard systems;
- installing, maintaining and repairing interior wiring for lighting and electrical equipment;
- working with batteries, electric motors, relays, solenoids and switches;
- operating electrical generators;
- reading and interpreting blueprints and preparing sketches for projects;
- making estimates of material, labor, and equipment requirements.
CEs may work in a variety of conditions, independently or as members of a large team. Their many different duties may be performed in climates ranging from tropical to arctic.
A-School (Job School) Information
Sheppard AFB, TX -- 99 calendar days
ASVAB Score Requirement: AR + MK + EI + GS = 200
Security Clearance Requirement: None
- 60 month service obligation
- Must have normal color perception
- 20/20 correctable vision
Sub-Specialties Available for This Rating: Navy Enlisted Classification Codes for CE
Current Manning Levels for This Rating: CREO Listing
Note: Advancement ( promotion ) opportunity and career progression are directly linked to a rating's manning level (i.e., personnel in undermanned ratings have greater promotion opportunity than those in overmanned ratings).
Sea/Shore Rotation for This Rating
- First Sea Tour: 48 months
- First Shore Tour: 36 months
- Second Sea Tour: 42 months
- Second Shore Tour: 36 months
- Third Sea Tour: 36 months
- Third Shore Tour: 36 months
- Fourth Sea Tour: 36 months
- Forth Shore Tour: 36 months
Note: Sea tours and shore tours for sailors that have completed four sea tours will be 36 months at sea followed by 36 months ashore until retirement.
Much of the above information courtesy of the Navy Personnel Command