Type of MOS : PMOS
Rank Range: MGySgt to Sgt
Job Description: Contract specialists perform various duties incident to the acquisition of supplies and nonpersonal services purchased via open market from commercial and government sources. Marines in this MOS must have the ability to interact with DoD civilians, civilians in the private sector, and/or work independently. Marines must also have the ability to be objective in applying procurement laws, regulations and policies, and apply best business practices in performance of daily duties.
(1) Must possess a GT score of 110 or higher.
(2) Must be interviewed and recommended by the Regional Contracting Officer or OccFld sponsor.
(3) Must be at least a sergeant with 1 year or less time-in-grade. Grades above the rank of Sergeant are not waiverable. Sergeants with time-in-grade in excess of 12 months may be waived up to 18 months.
(4) No convictions by court-martial, civilian courts, or nonjudicial punishment of any act involving larceny, fraud, or theft.
(5) Must demonstrate excellent communicative skills as determined during an initial screening interview with the Procurement Chief and submission of a 1-page essay on a business related topic with package.
(6) Must have a minimum of 48 months of obliqated service upon completion of OJT and assignment of MOS 3044. Marines must request an extension of obligated service in order to comply.
(7) Must be able to use the Marine Corps standard office software suite, and basic office machines.
(8) Marines who lateral move into MOS 3044 will be assigned MOS 3000 with an intended MOS of 3044. Marines will be assigned to a Regional Contracting Office for a period of 12 months for OJT (10 months if completed 9 semester hours of related college). After successful completion of OJT (Based on demonstrated performance per the T and R Manual) and Marine Corps Contingency Contracting Specialist Course at MCSSS, Camp Johnson, and upon the recommendation of the Regional Contracting Officer, these Marines shall be assigned MOS 3044. The Contracting Officer shall submit a letter to the Marine's administration section requesting diary entry and assignment of MOS 3044.
(9) A Marine's OJT period begins the day the Marine reports for duty at an appropriate level contracting office and runs consecutive with attendance of the Marine Corps Contingency contracting Specialist Course.
(10) Sergeants must complete Level I DAWIA standards to be eligible for certification in the contracting career field at Level I.
(11) Staff Sergeants and Gunnery Sergeants must have completed Level II DAWIA standards to be eligible for certification in the contracting career field at Level II.
(12) Master Sergeants and Master Gunnery Sergeants must have completed Level III DAWIA standards to be eligible for certification in the contracting career field at Level III.
NOTE: Waivers may be granted for only one prerequisite on a case-by-case basis. Waiver requests for time-in-grade requirements exceeding the 12-18 months listed herein will not be granted. The following prerequisites may be considered for waiver: GT score, MOS, Corporals and minor NJP offences. All requests for waiver and LATMOVE (Preferred MOS 3043 ) must be approved by the OccFld sponsor (LBP).
Duties: For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to MCO 1510.73, Individual Training Standards.
Related Department of Labor Occupation Codes :
(1) Contract Specialist 162.117-018.
(2) Buyer 162.157-018.
(3) Purchasing Agent 162.157-038.
(4) Procurement Services Manager 162.167-022.
(5) Contracts Manager 163.117-010.
(6) Contract Administrator 162.117-014.
Related Marine Corps Jobs:
Above information derived from MCBUL 1200, parts 2 and 3