Type of MOS : EMOS
Rank Range: MGySgt-Pvt
Job Description: Linguist MOSs are EMOSs primarily used in conjunction with the 267X primary MOS's that indicate specialized foreign language skills. Linguists supervise and participate in language translation/interpretation activities pertaining primarily to military operational and intelligence activities. The linguist MOSs will be assigned as EMOSs to identify those Marines with qualifying foreign language skills. The titles and MOSs will also be used to identify billets in T/Os requiring specific foreign language skills as a required billet MOS (SMOS). These EMOSs will be assigned and voided by the CMC (MM) only. MOS 2712, Arabic (Mod Std) Linguist is classified as a Middle East category language.
(1) Successfully complete the required course of instruction at the Defense Language Institute. (Note: Individuals may also qualify for this EMOS by demonstrating proficiency in the appropriate language by achieving minimum level 2 proficiency with two modalities (listening, reading or speaking) portions of the Defense Language Proficiency Test. )
(2) Maintain a current qualifying Defense Language Proficiency Test score Level 2 in two modalities (listening, reading or speaking) .
(1) Conducts interpretation and translation of foreign language to English and English to foreign language using phraseology selected to preserve the original intent, meaning, and emphasis.
(2) Phrases ideas to avoid language that is stilted, unnatural, or difficult to understand.
(3) Displays an impartial attitude toward each speaker as to facts and opinions expressed.
(4) Interprets into either English or foreign language statements made by participants in meetings, working parties, or similar non-technical activities.
(5) Interviews friendly non-English speaking civilians such as police, clergymen, and other citizens to obtain information of a military value.
(6) May be required to assist in the writing of reports, including opinion as to the credibility of the person interviewed, for use by unit commander and for dissemination to lower, adjacent, and higher headquarters.
(7) Translates into either English or the foreign language, written material of a non-technical nature.
(8) Establishes an archive file of language reference materials and lexical aids such as English to foreign language and foreign language to English dictionaries, cultural dictionaries, and glossaries of military terms.
Related Department of Labor Occupation Codes :
(1) Interpreter 137.267-010.
(2) Translator 137.267-018.
Related Marine Corps Jobs:
Crypto Linguists, 267X.
Above information derived from MCBUL 1200, parts 2 and 3