Type of MOS : PMOS
Rank Range: MSgt to Pvt
Job Description: MOS 0261, Geographic intelligence specialist is an entry level primary MOS. Geographic intelligence specialists collect, analyze, and process geophysical data. They perform precision ground control survey operations to provide the positional data required for various weapons delivery and C3 systems, construct and revise military maps and charts, conduct geodetic, topographic, and hydrographic survey operations, and analyze terrain and hydrography as a functional aspect of military intelligence. Equipment utilized includes survey and mapping instrumentation such as the theodolites, electronic and satellite positioning equipment, and microcomputer based mapping equipment.
(1) Must possess an EL score of 100 or higher.
(2) High school courses in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry are highly desirable.
(3) Must be eligible for a top secret security clearance and access to Sensitive Compartmented Information, predicated upon a Single Scope Background Investigation. Applications for the SSBI must be submitted prior to attendance of the Basic Geographic Intelligence Course at Ft. Belvoir, VA.
(4) Must complete the Basic Geographic Intelligence Course at Defense Mapping School, Ft Belvoir, VA.
(5) Must have normal color vision and normal stereoscopic acuity.
(6) All Marines requesting a lateral move to MOS 0261, USMC and USMCR, must have a screening interview conducted by a 0261 GySgt or above. Interview waivers can be granted only by the 02 OccFld Manager or CMC (MM)
Duties: For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to MCO 3500.32, Intelligence Training and Readiness Manual.
Related Department of Labor Occupation Codes :
(1) Geodetic Computer 018.167-014.
(2) Surveyor, Geodetic 018.167-038.
(3) Surveyor, Marine 018.167-046.
(4) Drafter, Cartographic 018.261-010.
Related Marine Corps Jobs:
Imagery Analysis Specialist, 0241.
Above information derived from MCBUL 1200, parts 2 and 3