1. Careers
Send to a Friend via Email
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

Army College Tuition Assistance Program


Army Tuition Assistance (TA) is an available program offered to nearly all soldiers (officers, warrant officers, enlisted) including Army Reserve, and Army National Guard on active duty which provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs to further a soldier's professional and personal self-development goals.

TA is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or by distance learning. To be approved for TA, the courses must be offered by schools that are registered in GoArmyEd and are accredited by accrediting agencies that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

In addition to degree programs, TA is available to Soldiers to complete a high school diploma and to complete certificate programs. TA will not be approved to complete credentials at the same or a lower educational level than the Soldier currently has. TA is not authorized for programs beyond a master's degree.

All eligible Soldiers will request TA through GoArmyEd.

By law, officers who use TA incur a service obligation. Active Duty officers incur an Active Duty Service Obligation (ADSO) of two years and Reserve Component officers incur a Reserve Duty Service Obligation (RDSO) of four years. The ADSO/RDSO is calculated from the date of completion of the last course for which TA was used.

The maximum amount paid for tuition assistance is $250 and the fiscal year ceiling is $4,500. The Army will pay 100 percent of the tuition and authorized fees charged by a school up to the established per semester hour cap and fiscal year ceiling. The policy also covers textbooks if they are included in the school's tuition rates.

Soldiers enrolled in the MGIB, and who have also been on active duty for at least two years, can elect to use part of their MGIB entitlement to cover tuition costs which exceed the Tuition Assistance cap. This add-on benefit is called "Top-Up". Soldier's may also take advantage of federal grants.

To obtain TA, Soldiers must request TA through www.GoArmyEd.com prior to the course start date or before the school’s late registration period. TA is requested on a course-by-course basis.

Soldiers who do not successfully complete a class will be required to repay the TA. Soldiers who are unable to successfully complete a class due to military reasons must request a Withdrawal for Military Reasons through GoArmyEd and complete all required steps to ensure that they will not be charged.

Further details on the provisions of TA are found in AR 621-5.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.