Camp Gordon was named after the Confederate Lieutenant General John Brown Gordon. During World War II the installation was activated for infantry and armor training. In September 1948, the Signal Corps Training Center was established here. Camp Gordon was re-designated Fort Gordon and become a permanent Army installation in 1956. Designating the installation the U.S. Army Signal Center, the Army consolidated all communications training at Fort Gordon in 1974. Fort Gordon figures prominently in the post-Cold-War national defense.
Fort Gordon's primary mission is training for signal and ordnance soldiers.
The official website of Fort Gordon