Ramstein AB is located in Germany, in the Rheinland Pfalz region near Ramstein Village.
Whether you fly to Germany on an AMC flight or commercial airline determines your arrival terminal at Frankfurt. Military-chartered or AMC flights arrive at Ramstein AB or Spangdahlem AB, while commercial flights arrive at Frankfurt International Airport.
It's important for you to keep the telephone numbers of your sponsor and unit with you when you travel. Make arrival arrangements with your sponsor before leaving your previous base.
At Frankfurt International Airport, there are U.S. Army information booths in Terminal 2 and on the second floor of Terminal 1. If you come into Terminal 2, you must take the "Sky Line" tram over to Terminal 1. You will probably exit the customs area into Hall "B" or "C" of the arrival deck. There is a staffed military information booth in the middle of Hall B. In Hall "C" there is a United Service Organization (USO) lounge.The USO has coffee, papers, telephones, and personnel to assist new arrivals.
Transportation from the airport to Ramstein should be coordinated prior to your arrival. Please ensure that your sponsor and your unit are aware of your travel arrangements. Changes to your travel may have a negative impact on your billeting/hotel reservation.
Commercial shuttle bus service is available. Arrangements need to be made within 48 hours of travel. Ramstein AMC also has a free shuttle which runs Monday through Friday. The Ramstein shuttle leaves at 1000 on Ramstein and drop off at Terminal 1, Hall B at Frankfurt International Airport. The return pickup is 1900 returning to Ramstein's AMC Terminal.
Service members are not authorized to rent and drive vehicles from the airport without a USAREUR driver's license or a 30 day waiver letter.
Directions from Frankfurt IAP to Ramstein Air Base:
1. When departing Frankfurt IAP, follow signs for A5 towards BASEL or DARMSTADT.
2. After a few minutes (perhaps 15 or so), you will see signs for A67 -- GET IN THE CENTER/LEFT LANE, and follow A67 (Left Split).
3. When you pass the town of LORSCH, you will see an exit on the far right for A6 MANNHEIM, KAISERSLAUTERN, and SAARBRUECKEN -- TAKE THIS EXIT.
4. Once on A6, Kaiserslautern is only about 45 minutes away. You'll cross the Rhein River, and pass Autobahnkreuz Frankenthal. Continue on A6; you'll pass an exit for Bad Durkheim, Leiningen, Hochspeyer, and will enter the city of Kaiserslautern.
5. Go past the KL-Ost and KL-West exits to the KL-EINSIEDLERHOF exit (Fruit of the Loom factory will be on your right). Follow the road through the circle and to the base. Once through the gate, go under the overpass, and Ramstein Lodging will be on your right before the light.