1. Careers
Send to a Friend via Email
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

Guard/Reserve Housing Allowance


Members of the National Guard and United States Military Reserves do not receive a housing allowance when performing weekend drill duty.

Guard and Reserve members on active duty for less than 30 days receive a different type of housing allowance than active duty members. This type of housing allowance is known as Basic Allowance for Housing Reserve Component/Transit, and pays less, on average, than Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) Type I, which is based upon a member's rank, dependency status, and location of assignment.

Reservists mobilized for 30 days or less get pro-rated Basic Allowance for Housing Reserve Component/Transit (BAH RC/T) at 1/30th of the monthly rate for each day of active duty. Partial BAH is paid to service members without dependents who live in government quarters. BAH Differential is paid to service members living in government quarters who pay child support; it is not paid if the amount of the child support is less than the BAH Differential rate for the member's paygrade.

For 2012, BAH RC/T rates increase by about 2 percent, the same as the average national increase in regular Basic Allowance for Housing, while BAH Differential rates rise about 1.6 percent, the same as the 2012 basic pay raise.

Below are the BAH Type II rates for 2012:


Warrant Officers

Commissioned Officers

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.