1. Careers
Send to a Friend via Email
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

BAH Differential


Special rules apply for active duty members who live in the barracks and pay child support. Married members and members with custodial custody of children are considered to "have dependents," (for housing purposes) and receive full-rate housing allowance (BAH), even if they reside temporarily in the barracks (such as in basic training, job school, or unaccompanied overseas assignment), in order to provide adequate financial support (housing) for their dependents.

However, military members who don't have custody, and are paying child support, *ARE NOT* authorized to reside in the barracks and receive full-rate BAH.

Instead, such members are paid an entitlement called BAH-DIFF, or BAH Differential. BAH-DIFF is the difference between the full married rate and full single rate of BAH RC/T, (which is a different allowance than BAH type I, the full-rate active duty housing allowance).

Enlisted BAH-DIFF Rates

Warrant Officer BAH-DIFF Rates

Commissioned Officer BAH-DIFF Rates

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.