1. Careers
  • Share

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:


was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Transition Assistance

Personnel and their families facing separation from the Navy require services to ease the transition from a formerly secure lifestyle to the challenges of a civilian community in a fluctuating economy. The Navy Transition Assistance Program (TAP) is designed to provide those services. TAP consists of preseparation counseling, employment assistance, relocation assistance from overseas and a set of benefits for involuntary separatees who qualify.

If you are going to separate from the Navy, preseparation counseling information will be made available to you in nine areas:

  • educational assistance benefits,

  • affiliating with the Selective Reserve,

  • available programs for job search assistance,

  • job counseling for your spouse,

  • relocation assistance services and the Department of LaborÕs Transition Assistance Program,

  • conversion health insurance or other medical and dental coverage,

  • the effects of career change on individuals and their families,

  • financial planning assistance and

  • if you are being medically separated, a description of the compensation and rehabilitation benefits of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Your command career counselor (CCC) will meet with you up to 180 days before separation but not later than 15 days after your command receives official notification of your separation. The career counselor will have you sign the preseparation counseling checklist (DD Form 2648) indicating which of the nine areas you desire counseling. The career counselor will file the DD Form 2648 in your service record and refer you to your family service center (FSC) for counseling.

    Employment Assistance Program

    The second major component of TAP is employment assistance. Employment assistance will be provided through the TAP seminar at the FSC. TAP workshops will be available at all major Navy installations by the end of FY92. Check with your FSC to determine availability of TAP in your area. TAP is a three to five-day workshop covering instructions on writing effective resumes, interviewing techniques, dressing for success and other job-finding skills. The seminar covers relocation factors, stress management and other topics.

    The last day of the workshop covers military specific topics such as affiliation with the Naval Reserve, movement of household goods, TRICARE and dental coverage, Survivor Benefit Plan, separation documents and check-out procedures.

    You may receive additional employment assistance at your local FSC. Counselors are available should you need them, and a number of job search computer programs. The Defense Outplacement Referral System (DORS) is available at the FSC and will make a mini resume of your Navy experience available to employers in the area to which you wish to relocate after separation.

    Also available is the Transition Bulletin Board (TBB) that is a computerized listing of jobs; career workshops; job fairs; support services; education and training opportunities; and information on franchises and starting a business.

    Relocation assistance overseas

    FSCs will be responsible for providing relocation assistance overseas through the use of the Relocation Automated Information System (RAIS). The RAIS data base provides information on 86 Navy and 18 Marine Corps installations including data on climate, geographic location, schools, housing, etc. If you receive orders to an overseas duty station, contact your local FSC for further information.

    Involuntary separation benefits

    If you are being involuntarily separated you may be eligible for additional benefits.

    These benefits may include extended medical care, extended commissary and exchange privileges, excess leave/permissive temporary duty if the command allows, priority affiliation in the Selected Reserve, travel and transportation of household goods to home of selection and storage of household goods.

    An extension in Department of Defense Dependent Schools to allow your child to complete the 12th grade is also available as well as an additional opportunity to enroll in the Montgomery GI Bill.

    Contact your command career counselor for further information.

    Voluntary Separation Incentive, Special Separation Benefit

    Personnel and their eligible family members who elect the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI), also known as the annuity plan, lose their eligibility for medical care on the date of separation.

    Personnel and their eligible dependents who elect the Special Separation Benefit (SSB), also known as the lump sum benefit, are eligible for medical and dental care in DOD medical treatment facilities for 120 days following the date of separation.

    All beneficiaries under this entitlement have the same priority for care as family members of active duty in DOD medical treatment facilities.

    Under TRICARE, all care is cost shared at the active-duty family member rate and all TRICARE rules apply.

    Dental coverage under Dependent Dental Plan (DDP) ends on the day of separation. Remember, your premium deduction will normally stop the month prior to separation, covering your family members through the month of separation.

    To avoid denied claims, you should ensure that any DDP dental treatment is performed prior to your separation date.

    If you take the SSB, you and your family members may use dental treatment facilities on a space available basis, for the authorized 120 day period. DDP cannot be extended after the separation date.

    Medical, dental benefits

    DOD provides continued Military Treatment Facility (MTF)/and or TRICARE coverage for military members (and their dependents) separating from the military as directed by public law in Title 10, U.S.C., Chapter 58, Section 1145.

    Temporary transitional health care coverage is made available to former members who are being either involuntary separated or are voluntarily separating with a separation bonus.

    The length of continued MTF/and or TRICARE coverage is determined by the length of military service the former member has performed. Based on legislation, the following are the current periods of temporary coverage:
  • Separating members who have served less than six years are entitled to 60 days of continued MTF/and or TRICARE coverage.

  • Separating members who have served six or more years are entitled to 120 days of continued MTF/and or TRICARE coverage.
  • Members separating early or who are being involuntarily separated should obtain transitional health care information from their personnel office.

    They should also participate in Transition Assistance Program (TAP) counseling, made available by the services as required by public law, to learn about separation benefits.

    Under TAP, members participate in a three-day transition course to educate them on a multitude of important separation benefits, among these include: housing, education, medical, insurance, life insurance and job searching assistance. Following the ending of either the 60 or 120 days of continued MTF/and or TRICARE coverage, separating members begin their eligibility to enroll in DOD's temporary, transitional health care program, the Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP).

    Former members have 60 days to elect to enroll in the CHCBP following the loss of their Military Health Services System (MHSS) eligibility.

    Authority extending the 60 or 120 days of MTF/and or TRICARE eligibility for separating members, either involuntarily or voluntary separating, has been extended through Oct. 1, 1999.

    For more information on TAMP benefits, contact your command career counselor, or the nearest family service center.
    Above Informaton Courtesy of Navy All-Hands Magazine

    Subscribe to the Newsletter