United States Marine Corps (USMC)
Officer Job Descriptions
MOS 9678, Historian
a. Summary. Marine Corps historians function as coordinators of historical activities and participate in a military historical writing program of military historical institutions.
b. Requirements/Prerequisites. Must possess a master's degree in history from an accredited university.
(1) Researches and writes official histories of Marine Corps activities.
(2) Supervises, as required, the preparation of such histories with background in historical references, libraries, archives.
(3) Participates as researcher, interviewer, and editor in oral history interviews with senior officers and key participants in significant Marine Corps activities.
(4) Monitors the conduct of oral history interviews by field organizations.
(5) Instructs or may instruct in military history, with emphasis on amphibious warfare, at officer schools.
(6) Prepares lesson plans and supporting instructional material.
(7) Advises commanding officers on historical matters.
(8) Instructs or may instruct in naval service educational institutions such as Command and Staff Colleges or the U.S. service academies.
d. Related DOT Classification/DOT Code. Historian 052.067-022.
Information Derived From MCO P1200.7V Part 1. Current as of Nov 00