United States Marine Corps (USMC)
Officer Job Descriptions
MOS 9656, Contracting Officer*
a. Summary. Contracting officers evaluate contract requirements, specifications, bids, proposals, and subsequent contractor performance. When appointed in accordance with the Federal Acquisition Regulation, contracting officers have authority to enter into, administer, or terminate contracts and make related determinations and findings. Contracting officers may bind the Government only to the extent of the authority delegated to them. This MOS is also an Acquisition Workforce Career Field as defined by the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act and Title 10, Section 1701. Officers serving in MOS 9656 are eligible for the MOS 9957, Acquisition Professional Candidate, and MOS 9958, Acquisition Management Officer, acquisition workforce programs. This MOS will be assigned only as a skill designator MOS.
(1) Complete the Acquisition and Contracting Management curriculum number 815 at the Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA.
(2) Secret Security clearance.
(3) U.S. Citizen
(4) Meet other requirements as may be prescribed by regulation.
(1) Provides planning, programming, budgeting, and acquisition planning support to various Marine Corps appropriation sponsors; reviews acquisition plans, statements of work, performance work statements, economy act orders, specifications, requests for proposals and invitations for bids; evaluates contract proposals, bids, and contractor performance; awards and administers contracts.
(2) Supervises others in the conduct of Marine Corps cotracting functions.
(3) Makes determinations and findings as well as determines obligations for the settlement of controversies and protests on Government contracts.
(4) Performs contingency contracting functions in support of the conduct of war, operations other than war exercises, and deployments.
(5) Typical assignments: Chief/Deputy of Contracts at a Marine Corps Regional Contracting Office or contract specialist/ procurement analyst (supporting establishment), Chief of Contracts at a Marine Corps Deployed Regional Contracting Office (FSSG), Contracting/Host Nation Support Officer (MEF/MAGTF), Contracting Officer (JTF, HQMC, etc.).
d. Related DOT Classification/DOT Code. Contract Specialist 162.117-018.
Information Derived From MCO P1200.7V Part 1. Current as of Nov 00