United States Marine Corps (USMC)
Officer Job Descriptions
MOS 7521 through 7527, Pilot VMFA (I)#
a. Summary. Pilots VMFA operate an electronics equipped fighter-attack aircraft to provide air defense and air support in all weather conditions, day and night.
(1) Must be a U.S. citizen.
(2) MOS 7521 - FRO Basic F/A-18 Pilot #MOS 7522 - Pilot VMFA F-4S qualified. MOS 7521 Pilot VMFA F/A-18 qualified. *MOS 7527 - Pilot VMFA F/A-18D qualified.
(3) MOS 7527 is to be assigned as a skill designator MOS only. It will be assigned for pilots flying the F/A-18D aircraft upon completion of CACC and T&R syllabus flight for TAC(A)/FAC(A) and RECCE.
(4) All F/A-18 A/C/D pilots receive primary MOS 7523.
(5) Must have a secret security clearance.
(1) Provides air defense during all weather conditions, day and night, by coordinating with airborne and/or ground control intercept units to intercept and destroy attacking enemy aircraft.
(2) Provides air support by dive and glide bombing, rocket, and strafing attacks.
(3) Performs aerial reconnaissance, antisubmarine, and surface vessel defense.
(4) Executes offensive and defensive all weather fighter tactics.
(5) Operates from carrier or land bases.
(6) Commands or may assist in commanding an aviation unit.
d. Related DOT Classification/DOT Code. Airplane Pilot, Commercial 196.263-014.
# This MOS is no longer being assigned. Officers currently assigned this MOS may retain it as a primary until attrition or conversion to another primary MOS.
Information Derived From MCO P1200.7V Part 1. Current as of Nov 00