1. Careers

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:


was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Frequently Asked Questions
About the United States Military
 More of this Feature
• FAQ Menu  
 Join the Discussion
Visit Our Message Forum   
 Related Resources
• Resources for Joining Up
• General Military Information
• Military Pay Charts
• What the Recruiter Never Told You

Question: I'm in the National Guard (or Reserves). I want to transfer to Active Duty. How do I do this?

Answer: One cannot simply transfer from the Reserves or National Guard to Active Duty. Enlisting on active duty is a separate enlistment process. If one is in the Guard or Reserves and wishes to enlist on active duty, one must visit an active duty recruiter, who will assist in the processing of a form called "Conditional Release." This form is approved by the Guard/Reserve and basically says that if the individual is accepted on active duty, the Guard or Reserves will agree to release them from their commitment.

For more details, see our information page about Guard/Reserve Going on Active Duty, available on the site home, under the subject area for Guard/Reserves.

Subscribe to the Newsletter


©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.