1. Careers

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:


was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

The Military Member’s Guide to Citizenship Application

Oath of Allegiance

I hereby declare, on oath,

that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;

that I will support and defend the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic;

that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;

that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law;

that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law;

that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and

that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.


If, because of religious teachings and beliefs, the military spouse is against fighting or serving in the military, INS may exempt them from these requirements. They will need to send a letter with their application requesting a modified oath and explaining why they are unable to take the oath as it is written above. Please see the section titled "Taking the Oath" for more information about this process.

In addition to the promise to serve the United States when required, INS also considers the following three things when determining if an applicant is truly willing to serve the United States.

Selective Service. Male spouses of military members generally need to register with the Selective Service before applying for naturalization. If you are male and lived in the United States (in any status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant) at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays, you must be registered with the Selective Service System. Males who first entered the United States after they turned 26 years old are exempt from the requirement to register. If the spouse was required to register, they will need to provide their Selective Service number to INS when they apply. They may get their Selective Service number by calling 1-847-688-6888 if they were born after 31 December 1959. If they were born before 29 Mar 1957, they should call 1-703-605-4047. If the spouse has not registered, they must register at a United States post office or on the Internet to receive a Selective Service number. The Selective Service System Internet site can be reached at www.sss.gov or through the INS Internet site at www.ins.usdoj.gov. They must have a Social Security number to register on the Internet.

If the spouse was required to register but did not register before they turned 26, they must do the following:

Call 1-847-688-6888 and complete the Selective Service System’s Questionnaire Form (Males born before 29 March 1957 should call 1-703-605-4047)

Receive a "Status Information Letter" from the Selective Service

Submit the Status Information Letter with their application



Return to Menu

Subscribe to the Newsletter

Information Courtesy of U.S. Army

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.