Air Force Medals and Ribbons
Air Force Basic Military
The Secretary of the AF established the Air Force Military Training Instructor Ribbon on 7 December 1998. This ribbon is designed to acknowledge past, present, and future Military Training Instructors who display commitment and dedication to the training of our Air Force personnel. This ribbon is intended for MTIs (AFSC 8B000) at AF Basic Military Training (BMT) and AF Officer Training School (OTS). Instructors at Technical Training Schools do not qualify. To be eligible, individuals will need to show proof of eligibility using the MTI School certificate and documents showing assignment to MTI duty such as EPRs or decorations.
The ribbon criteria for Air Force active duty, reserve, and guard personnel are as follows:
- Basic award is presented upon graduation from Military Training Instructor School.
- Wear of the ribbon will become permanent after successful completion of at least 12 months tour of duty as an MTI. 737 TRG/CC may waive the minimum qualifying tour length if an individual cannot complete the tour for a valid reason.
- Each additional three years of MTI duty following the basic tour entitles the member to an oak leaf cluster. NOTE: Prior to 21 November 1994, MTI tour of duty was 3 years.
- The authorization to wear the ribbon is retroactive for any individual who has successfully completed 12 months duty as an MTI and is currently on active duty or a member of a reserve component as of the establishment date (7 Dec 98).
- The 737 TRG/CC may withdraw authorization to wear the ribbon for those who are eliminated from the MTI program for disciplinary reasons.
- The ribbon shall be placed (worn) between the Air Force Longevity Service Ribbon and the Armed Force Reserve Medal.
Graphics & Information Courtesy of United States Air Force