This program allows airmen selected for a short tour, dependent restricted or elect to serve the unaccompanied tour length (less than 18 months), to apply for advanced assignment consideration prior to departing for that short tour. Home-Basing (HB) assignments permit return to Alaska, Hawaii, or the same CONUS base they left before going on the short tour. The Follow-On (FO) assignment program provides for advanced consideration of a CONUS assignment (not HB) or an overseas tour for the member's PCS upon completion of the short tour. There is one exception. If you are currently serving on a long tour (except in Alaska or Hawaii) or an accompanied short tour, you can only apply for a follow-on to a CONUS location or a long tour location in Alaska or Hawaii.
You should apply for your HB or FO assignment within 15 days after your initial relocation briefing. This is a "one time shot" and you should carefully consider your choices. We will do everything reasonable to finalize your next-after-remote assignment to one of your preferences. You can apply for specific bases, states, regions, or countries. The more choices you give us, the more likely we are to be able to approve one of them. If your AFSC is not authorized at a certain base (see your MPF for a listing indicating the AFSCs at each installation), don't waste a valuable choice by listing it. We will only be able to approve those HB/FO requests when we can determine that a requirement exists in your grade and AFSC at the time you will be available (essentially, your DEROS month + 60 days). This must be accomplished BEFORE you leave your current station. As always: BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR . After you apply for a HB or FO assignment, the Personnel Data System is programmed to store your application at AFPC until the fourth month prior to your projected departure date. At this time, AFPC attempts to provide you a HB or FO assignment. While this may seem like an easy task, please understand that we are looking at manning requirements 15 months or more into the future and manning levels can change for any number of reasons. After we review your request for the HB or FO assignment, we forward the approval or disapproval decision to the MPF and they will notify you. If your HB or FO is approved, you can plan accordingly. If it is disapproved, your "next" assignment will be handled under the EQUAL overseas returnee process (unless you are a military spouse couple) and you will be notified of your onward assignment approximately 3 to 5 months prior to your DEROS. If you are approved for a FO assignment, you must obtain the retainability for it within 30 days after approval. If you are approved for a HB assignment, you can obtain the necessary retainability when you receive your overseas returnee counseling. Your dependents may remain at the current duty location or you may relocate them/household goods at your own expense without losing the HB/FO assignment. With an approved follow-on assignment you may relocate your family or household goods to the new duty station at government expense.
There are several other factors concerning the HB and FO program you should be aware of. As with any personnel program, if you have any questions or concerns, you should consult with your MPF for further details.
- Airmen who receive an approved assignment are not eligible to request an indefinite DEROS or voluntarily extend overseas for more than three months unless they voluntarily cancel their HB or FO assignment
- Approved assignments may be canceled if a member moves dependents or household goods to a location other than the follow-on assignment, unless they were moved at your own expense
- Approved assignments may be involuntarily changed or canceled due to changing requirements and priorities (base closure, loss of authorizations, etc.). Affected airmen are given priority for other assignment preferences and special handling is provided
- You may be eligible to ship a privately owned vehicle (POV) at government expense to the OS location. (Check with your MPF)
- Single members, single member parents, and military couples who will serve concurrent, unaccompanied short tours, can store household goods at government expense (check with your local TMO) and relocate their dependents to a designated location at their own expense without cancellation of a HB or FO assignment