1. Careers

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:


was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

How to Change your Military Records

Incorrect information in your military records may affect your VA, retiree, and travel benefits. Here's how to apply to have information in your records changed:

Difficulty Level: Average      Time Required: 70 Minutes

Here's How:
  1. Obtain a copy of DD Form 149, "Application for Correction of Military Records."
  2. Complete the personal information in Section 1.
  3. In Section 2, indicate the type of discharge you received.
  4. In Section 3, indicate your current military status (active duty, reserve, retired, separated, etc.)
  5. In Section 4, indicate your date of discharge, or release from active duty.
  6. In Section 5, enter the unit you were assigned to when the alleged error occured.
  7. In Section 6, indicate whether or not you desire to appear personally before the board in Washington D.C.
  8. If you are being represented by an attorney, enter his/her information in Section 7.
  9. In Section 8, explain exactly what you wish the board to correct.
  10. In Section 9, explain why the record is in error, or why it is unjust.
  11. List attached evidence and other documents in Section 10.
  12. Enter the date the error was discovered in Section 11. If it's been more than 3 years, give justification for the late application.
  13. If you are making this application for someone else, complete Section 12.
  14. Sign the form, and mail the completed application package to the address listed on the reverse side of the DD Form 149.


  1. Unless the error is "cut & dry," it is a good idea to obtain an experienced attorney to help you with the process.
  2. It may take several months for the board to review the application and make a determination.

Related Features:

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.