Marine Corps. The Marine Corps can provide the duty station for active duty personnel and reservists. For retired individuals, the locator service can provide the city and state, but not an address. The service will provide the service member's current rank and unit address; however, due to the locator's staffing, the office cannot forward mail except in special cases. Telephonic requests to 1-760-725-5171 are free of charge to immediate family members and government officials calling on official business. In addition, telephonic service will be provided at no cost to any individual, business or organization, if the Marine locator decides the information would benefit the individual. Other requests cost $3.50, made payable by check or money order to the U.S. TREASURER.
Send written locator requests to:
Commandant of the Marine Corps
Quantico, VA 22134-5030
Coast Guard. The Coast Guard World Wide Locator has duty stations for active duty personnel. They do not maintain listings for CG reserve or retired personnel. To locate an active duty Coast Guard member, you can send an email to: ARL-PF-CGPCCGlocator@uscg.mil ARL-PF-CGPCCGlocator@uscg.mil. You can also write to:
Coast Guard Personnel Command (CGPC-adm-3)
2100 Second St, SW
Washington, DC 20593-0001
Telephone: (202) 267-0581
Other Ways to Locate Current/Former Military Members
Military members are people, just like any other folks. They can often be found by employing methods you would use to try and locate anyone. For example, a private detective agency may be able to assist. They usually have access to resources and databases which can search driver's license records, utility records, mortgage and deed documents, etc.
There are web sites that allow former military members and former military members to enter their contact information, so that it is available to people who wish to find them. The disadvantage is that the member will not be listed there, unless he/she specifically requested that their information be listed. Some of these web sites are:
- Military.com Buddy Finder. You have to join this site to use their locator, but joining is free.
- Military Connections. Database with over 450,000 names. Free
- GI Search. Database with information from many current and former military members. Free
- Air Force Email Locator. More than 32,000 email addresses of current and former Air Force members. Free
- Classmates.com. Classmates.com has a special section for current and former military members. You have to join in order to use their services, but it's free.