1. Careers
Send to a Friend via Email
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

Locating Military People


SGT(P) Ashe showing CSM King Global Base Locator
Army Experience Center/Flickr

If you spent a couple of days reading my About.com email, you might reach the conclusion that I'm a private detective. A substantial number of requests I receive are from folks wanting help in tracking down someone they know who was once in the military. Many folks clearly believe once someone spends three or four years in the service, that the military will then track their location forever and ever, and -- such information simply must be available somewhere on the Internet.

Well, people, it ain 't so. The military keeps track of folks who are currently receiving military pay. That means they know the location of individuals who are currently on active duty, in the National Guard and Reserves, and those who are retired from the military. If you're looking for someone who spent a few years in the military, and then separated, the military is not going to know where they are.

Even if the people you are looking for are currently on active duty, in the Guard or Reserves, or are retired, whether or not the military will release information they do have on file is dependent upon the circumstances. For example, the military generally does not release information about individuals who are deployed.

So, what can you do to locate current or former members of the U.S. Military?

Base Locators

If the person you're trying to find is currently on active duty, and you know their rank, name, and where they are stationed, finding them is pretty easy. Every military base has a "base locator." You can usually locate the military member you're looking for with a simple phone call.

To contact the base locator, call long distance information, and ask them to connect you to the base operator for the military base where the member is stationed. When the base operator comes on the line, ask to be connected to the base locator. The base locator can give you the duty phone number and duty address of any active duty person stationed on that base. Unless the individual has asked to keep the information private, the locator can also give you their home phone number and home address.

World-Wide Locators

If you don't know where the member is stationed, you'll need to contact the specific service's world-wide locator service. Each military branch has their own.

Air Force. The Air Force World-Wide Locator is based at the Air Force Personnel Headquarters in Texas. It handles requests for Air Force active duty, Air Force reserves, the Air National Guard, and retired Air Force members. There are two types of requests: official requests and unofficial requests. Official requests are defined as requests received from any government agency and the Department of Defense. All other requests are considered unofficial. All unofficial requests must be made in writing.

In order for the Air Force to properly locate the correct individual, your request must contain as much of the following information as possible:

  • Full name to include a middle initial,
  • Rank
  • Social Security number
  • Date of birth
  • Any known assignment information (places/dates)

A fee of $3.50, per individual request, is required for all unofficial requests. The fee must be paid by check or money order made out to "DAO-DE RAFB." Requestors who are on active duty, National Guard, Reserves, or military retired are exempt from paying the fee.

Your written request needs to include your name, address, and phone number. Put your written request in an unsealed envelope with a return address, proper postage affixed and the individual's (the person you're looking for) name in the addressee portion of the envelope. Place this envelope in a larger envelope with your check or money and mail to the locator address at:

550 C St West Ste 50
Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4752

Please not that your request constitutes permission for the Air Force to release your name, phone number, and address to the military member.

Army. Due to security reasons, the Army has closed their World-Wide Locator Service to the general public. To access the Army locator, you now need an Army Knowledge Online account (that means you need to be a member of the Army, Army National Guard, Army Reserves, Army Retired member, or an Army Dependent).

Other requests to locate active duty Army members are handled on a case-by-case basis. Send your written requests to:

U.S. Army Enlisted Records & Evaluation Center
ATTN: Locator
8899 East 56th Street
Fort Benjamin Harrison, IN 46249-5301

Navy. The Navy World Wide Locator helps locate individuals on active duty and those who have been recently discharged (within one year). The Navy also has a current address for retired Navy service members. Retiree addresses and addresses for those who have recently separated, however, are protected under the provisions of the Privacy Act and cannot be released. In these cases, however, the locator can forward mail.

Give as much identifying information as possible about the person you wish to locate such as full name, rank (rate), last duty assignment/last known military address, service number, and Social Security number.

You can call the locator service toll free at 1-866-827-5672 or 1-901-874-3388, DSN 882-3388. Unless you are calling on official business or a family member or active duty member, the fee for researching an address is $3.50 per address made payable by check or money order to the U.S. TREASURER. Fees are retained in cases resulting in an unsuccessful search. Mail your correspondence with your fee to:

Navy World Wide Locator
Navy Personnel Command
PERS 312E2
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055-3120

  1. About.com
  2. Careers
  3. US Military
  4. The Orderly Room
  5. Locating Current or Former Members of the U.S. Military

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.