1. Careers
Send to a Friend via Email
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

How To Request Replacement Medals


Military personnel and veterans are authorized to have medals replaced by the government free of charge. Here's how to request medal replacement:
Difficulty: Easy
Time Required: 15 Minutes

Here's How:

  1. Obtain a copy of Standard Form 180. You can also call (314) 538-4261 and request the form be mailed to you.
  2. Print or type your name, social security number, date of birth, and place of birth in section 1, blocks 1 through 4.
  3. Print or type your service dates in the applicable spaces in section 1, block 5.
  4. Indicate whether or not the individual is deceased in section 1, block 6.
  5. Indicate whether or not the person retired from the military in section 1, block 7.
  6. In Section 2, indicate which medals you need to have replaced.
  7. Enter your return address and signature in section 3. Only the servicemember, guardian, or next of kin may sign the form.
  8. Mail the completed form to the following address:
  9. For Army, National Personnel Records Center, Medals Section (NRPMA-M), 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.
  10. For Air Force (Including Army Air Corps), National Personnel Records Center, Air Force Reference Branch (NRPMF), 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.
  11. For Navy, Coast Guard, and Marine Corps, Bureau of Naval Personnel Liaison Office, Room 5409, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.


  1. Response may take several months as the service will attempt to verify the medals from your military records.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.