Military personnel and veterans are authorized to have medals replaced by the government free of charge. Here's how to request medal replacement:
Time Required: 15 Minutes
- Obtain a copy of Standard Form 180. You can also call (314) 538-4261 and request the form be mailed to you.
- Print or type your name, social security number, date of birth, and place of birth in section 1, blocks 1 through 4.
- Print or type your service dates in the applicable spaces in section 1, block 5.
- Indicate whether or not the individual is deceased in section 1, block 6.
- Indicate whether or not the person retired from the military in section 1, block 7.
- In Section 2, indicate which medals you need to have replaced.
- Enter your return address and signature in section 3. Only the servicemember, guardian, or next of kin may sign the form.
- Mail the completed form to the following address:
- For Army, National Personnel Records Center, Medals Section (NRPMA-M), 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.
- For Air Force (Including Army Air Corps), National Personnel Records Center, Air Force Reference Branch (NRPMF), 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.
- For Navy, Coast Guard, and Marine Corps, Bureau of Naval Personnel Liaison Office, Room 5409, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.
- Response may take several months as the service will attempt to verify the medals from your military records.