- You will need proof of your service, such as a DD Form 214 (Record of Military Service).
- Prepare, date, and sign a letter, requesting the award of the Cold War Recognition Certificate. You can also fill out an official request form at the Army's Cold War Recognition Certificate Website.
- Send the letter or request form, and a copy of your service proof to:
U.S. Army Human Resources Command
Cold War Recognition
4035 Ridge Top Road
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
FAX: (703) 275-6749
- You may also FAX the letter and proof to: 1-800-723-9262.
- Your letter must contain the phrase "I certify that my service was honorable and faithful" whether as a member of the U.S. armed forces or as a federal civilian employee during the Cold War era, or it will be rejected.
- Do not send the original of your proof of service. Send a copy. Original documentation will not be returned.
- There is a large demand for this program. Individuals normally will receive a response within 30 days; however, the turnaround time will depend upon the amount of requests received.