1. Careers
Send to a Friend via Email
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

How To Obtain a Cold War Certificate


Grungy Flags of Soviet Union and USA
Klubovy/Vetta/Getty Images
If you served honorably on active duty, the Guard, Reserve, or as a DOD federal employee from Sept 2, 1945 to Dec 26, 1991, you are authorized the Cold War Recognition Certificate. Here's how to obtain your copy free:
Difficulty: Easy
Time Required: 15 Minutes

Here's How:

  1. You will need proof of your service, such as a DD Form 214 (Record of Military Service).
  2. Prepare, date, and sign a letter, requesting the award of the Cold War Recognition Certificate. You can also fill out an official request form at the Army's Cold War Recognition Certificate Website.
  3. Send the letter or request form, and a copy of your service proof to:

    U.S. Army Human Resources Command
    Cold War Recognition
    4035 Ridge Top Road
    Suite 400
    Fairfax, Virginia 22030

    FAX: (703) 275-6749

  4. You may also FAX the letter and proof to: 1-800-723-9262.


  1. Your letter must contain the phrase "I certify that my service was honorable and faithful" whether as a member of the U.S. armed forces or as a federal civilian employee during the Cold War era, or it will be rejected.
  2. Do not send the original of your proof of service. Send a copy. Original documentation will not be returned.
  3. There is a large demand for this program. Individuals normally will receive a response within 30 days; however, the turnaround time will depend upon the amount of requests received.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.