If you received anything but an "Honorable" Discharge, this may affect your VA Benefits. Here's how you can apply for consideration in having your discharge upgraded:
Time Required: 60 Minutes
- Obtain a copy of DD Form 293, "Application for the Review of Discharge or Dismissal from the Armed Forces of the United States."
- Complete personal information in Section 1.
- If you are making the application on behalf of another individual, complete Section 2.
- Indicate the action you wish the board to accomplish in Section 3.
- In section 4, indicate whether you wish to appear before the board in Washington D.C., wait for a traveling board, or have a records only review.
- If you are being represented by another person, complete section 5.
- Complete Section 6 if you elect not to be represented by counsel.
- List supporting documentation in Section 7.
- In Section 8, tell the board exactly why they should consider upgrading your discharge.
- Sign and Date the Form in Section 9.
- Mail the completed form to the address listed on the reverse side of the DD Form 293.
- Most of these requests are not approved. To maximize your chances, it is a good idea to be represented by an experienced attorney.
- If the Discharge is over 15 years old, you must apply for a Correction of Military Records.
- It may take several months for the board to review your application and make a decision.