Military pay and retired pay may be garnished for the payment of alimony and child support. Here are the procedures:
Time Required: 10 Minutes
- Obtain a garnishment order from a court. A copy of your divorce decree is not sufficient.
- Your request must contain the full name and social secruity number of the member. Other info, such as address, will speed up the process.
- Mail the information to: Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Cleveland Center, Code L, PO Box 998002, Cleveland, Ohio 44199-8002
- You may FAX the information to: (216) 522-6960. If you fax, the full name and social security number should be on each page. You should also include a return FAX number and return phone number.
- The more information you provide, the faster the process will be.
- You may call (216) 522-5301 for follow-ups, or if you have any questions.
- The maximum amount of the garnishment is set by federal law to between 50 and 65 percent of disposable pay.