1. Careers
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

The Military Personally Procured Move Program

Page 3



You should have a residence available for delivery of the goods at destination within the period specified for the move. If storage is required at destination, you SHOULD consider doing a Government move.

Temporary storage (up to 90 days) incidental to a personally procured moved is authorized at Government expense. However, reimbursement will be based on the Government's cost to store a like amount of weight and will not include an incentive payment.

If you must procure storage, you should use a bona-fide commercial storage facility (to include a mini-storage facility) and submit a claim for reimbursement for personally procured storage. This will be submitted on a DD Form 1351-2 to the Personal Property Office.

Claims for loss or damage to your household goods while in storage are not payable by the military claims offices. Make sure you purchase insurance to cover your goods while in storage.


Once you have reached your destination, you must submit a claim for the balance of your reimbursement or incentive to the Personal Property Office on your new base, within 45 days of your move date. Claim should consist of the DD Form 2278, DD Form 1351-2, certified weight tickets (empty and full), and complete set of orders. Your reimbursement will be equal to 100% of the GCC or your incentive will be equal to 95% of the GCC, depending on which option you chose to use.

Note: Reimbursement for a personally procured move is only for moving expenses and is entirely separate from personal travel, pay and allowances. Additionally, expenses for food and lodging should not be included in your personally procured move claim, however fuel, tolls, packing material and the cost of certified weight tickets are reimbursable.

Definition of Household Goods

HHG do include: Items associated with the home and all personal effects belonging to a member and dependents on the effective date of the member's PCS or TDY order that legally may be accepted and transported by an authorized commercial transporter. HHG also include: professional books, papers, and equipment (PBP&E), spare POV parts and a pickup tailgate when removed, integral or attached vehicle parts that must be removed due to their high vulnerability to pilferage or damage (e.g., seats, tops, winch, spare tires, portable auxiliary gasoline can(s), and miscellaneous associated hardware, vehicles other than POVs (such as golf carts, motorcycles, mopeds, jet skis, hang gliders, snowmobiles, and their associated trailers, boats and single occupant ultralight vehicles for recreation or sport purposes (weighing less than 155 pounds if unpowered or less than 254 pounds if powered, having a fuel capacity not to exceed 5 gallons, airspeed not to exceed 55 knots, and power-off stall speed not to exceed 24 knots).

HHG do not include: Personal baggage when carried free on an airplane, bus or train; automobiles, trucks, vans and similar motor vehicles; airplanes; mobile homes; camper trailers; and farming vehicles; live animals including birds, fish and reptiles; cordwood and building materials; items for resale, disposal or commercial use rather than for use by the member and dependents; privately owned live ammunition; articles that otherwise would qualify as HHG but are acquired after the effective date of PCS orders except bona fide replacements for articles that have become inadequate, worn out, broken, or unserviceable on/after the effective date of orders.

  1. About.com
  2. Careers
  3. US Military
  4. The Orderly Room
  5. Assignments
  6. The Military Personally Procured Move Program

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.